Tuesday 27 January 2015

Lost in languages


                  Most of you, my dear readers, are involved in languages. And as a languages lover I fancy words, but mostly the ones that are untranslatable. You may ask what is so interesting about this kind of words. The answer is simple: it’s that feeling of understanding them with no equivalent word in our native language. There are also some words that, basing on dictionaries, are translatable, but as for me not good enough. That’s why I love using original words that, to me, are able to describe my feeling about something like: ‘It freaks me out!’ or ‘That’s creepy’.

                 Now, coming back to the main topic. I love untranslatable words in different languages. They are fascinating me. In this post I want to present you some of my favourites using pictures, so it’ll be a long post, sorry :P But I hope maybe some of you will find a word that is able to describe what you feel, but you have no idea how to say it. So…

(German word: The feeling of being alone in the woods.)
Have you ever felt something like this? I did. 

(Inuit word: The feeling of anticipation that leads you to keep looking outside to see if anyone is coming.) 
Isn't it sad? Mr. Lonely...

(Indonesian word: A joke told so poorly and so unfunny that one cannot help but laugh.) 
It's really popular now... unfortunately.

(Gaelic word:  Refers to the particular itchiness that settles on the upper lip before taking a sip of whiskey.)
 You just have to put it on your TO FEEL BEFORE DIE list :P

(Welsh word: "Blue smile"- the one that is sarcastic or mocking.)
 Do you know any glas wen?

(Japanese word: Leaving a book unread after buying it, typically piled up together with other unread books) 
Poor books :(

(Swedish word: The indescribable euphoria experienced as you begin to fall in love) 
Aww, this one is so lovely! 

(Japanese word: The sunlight that filters through the leaves of trees.) 
Have you ever experienced it? I did! It's so beautiful!

(Tagalog word: The feeling of butterflies in your stomach, usually when something romantic or cute takes place.)
 Hmmm, right :P

(Swedish word: Gathering together to talk and take a break from everyday routines, usually drinking coffee and eating pastries- either at a cafeor at home- often for houes on end.)
 Ohhh, this word speaks to me :D

(Portuguese word: A vague, constant desire for something that does not and probably cannot exist, a nostalgy longing for someone or something loved and then lost.)
 This one is really sad.

(Italian word: Often taken to mean "heartwarming", but directly relates to a story that moved you to tears.) 
This word have a point!

(Yiddish word: Refers to someone who is a bit of a dreamer and literally means "air person".)
 It decribes me so well. Are you the luftmensch?

(Swedish word: On its own, "tår" means a cup of coffee and patår" is the refill of said coffee. A "tretår" is therefore a second refill, or a "threefill".)
 A tretår please... again :P

(Swedish word: The roadlike reflection of the moon on the water.)
 This is really beautiful view. I really love it. And Finn have also a word for it and it's KUUNSILTA (literally: Moon's bridge)

(Welsh word: a warm, affectionate hug, cuddle or snuggle that gives a feeling of a safe place or home.) 
I love this word. So now, cwtch me cariad ;)

OK, now these are my favourites untranslatable words. I hope you will remember some. And sorry for such a long post. 
















2 comments:

  1. I like this Indonesian word. :D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!!! Do you know if there is an untranslatable word or something similar to describe the "passion for languages"?. In short, being a language lover.

    ReplyDelete