Sunday 19 April 2015

Something about "„translations”

    Have you ever read a book that was truly brilliant in original, but then reading its translation it seemed to be just awful? Well, I did. And I actually found the other one that translation made it so interesting even though the original version was really bad. Well, it happens quite a lot. Thank God we have this opportunity to know some books in original so we can compare with the one in our native language. But actually it’s not a book translations I want to write about. I’m also really into sign languages and recently I bumped into an awesome sign interpreter who translated the Swedish Eurovision contest and he became an internet sensation. Here you can check out if he’s really that great:


   He’s really good, isn’t he? I think this is an amazing idea to “translate” songs into a sign language. Of course every single language has their own version of sign language like ASL- American sign language, PJM- polski język migowy etc. For me it is a beautiful way to communicate with others. Here’s a sample of how wonderful it can look like.


   If you want to learn something in sign language I recommend you watching “switched at birth”. It’s a tv series full of expressions in ASL and I think it’s the best way to get to know ASL more.

2 comments:

  1. You're right, it is really good that as philologists we can read a lot of books in the language in which they were written, actually one of my favourite books ("The kite runner" by Khalid Hosseini) is brilliant in the original English version, but the Polish and German translations of it aren't so good, I'm curious how the Romanian version is.
    And the videos with songs "translated" into sing language are amazing, it's a wonderful way to make music accessible for deaf people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I think that this is a nice way to show the music. And the sign language is like a choreography.

    ReplyDelete