Tuesday 11 November 2014

I've already told you about Irish and Scottish so now it's time for Welsh which closes my list of favourite Celtic languages because I'm not so familiar with others like Cornwall and so on. I'm pretty sure some of you've already seen this word:
…and yep, it's in Welsh. But don't worry, this language has no more words as long as this one ;) ok, so maybe you wonder how is it possible to read so many consonants one beside another. I'll tell you - this is not the way Welsh speakers read it. For instance, w is usually read as u. But how to read this long word? It's simple because it is made from many words and full meaning is Saint Mary’s Church in the hollow of the white hazel near the rapid whirlpool and the Church of Saint Tysilio of the red cave. Ok, now let's delete all spaces and we'll still be reading it very well, as the Welsh in their version. Let me make you Welsh version easier. Here you have an IPA version: /ˌɬan.vair.puɬˌɡwɪ̈n.ɡɪ̈ɬ.ɡoˌɡerˌʌːˌχwɪ̈rnˌdro.buɬˌɬan.tʌˌsil.jɒˌɡo.ɡoˈɡoːχ/
The thing I can tell you for sure is the fact that for me all these languages sounds very mystically and ancient a bit, like the part of old magic is hidden behind old languages, don't you think? Hearing Irish, Scottish or Welsh I see castles, lakes, mystery of some creatures like Nessie from Loch Ness or maybe people using magic like an old buddy Merlin. I don't know. For me there's an untold story covered under these old languages and reading in it or hearing it is like discovering something unknown. This is the way I like imagining for instance the king Arthur and his knights. As for our university and Welsh connection 23th may 2014 there was first  Eisteddfod a festival of Welsh culture. So maybe, next year when you'll see a poster about a next one you will take part in it. If so, see you ;) 
And here's a song in Welsh:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOrhPofaOsI



5 comments:

  1. If you will find something about Nessie in old books, tell me, I would like to know :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever been in Wales? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog has been inactive for nearly two months. Please do something about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Justyna, I'll. I promise!
    Rumunka: Never before have I been to Wales. But who knows, one day... I hope!
    Marta: Keep reading you'll never know... But as far as you know me, I'l put here something more about Irish :)

    ReplyDelete